- May 4, 2022
- Posted by: Mariam Kasemiire
- Category: Uncategorized
The Grants Administration and Management Support Unit (GAMSU) was established by Makerere University Council through the Makerere University Grants Administration and Management Policy on 17th December 2020. GAMSU is governed by a Steering Committee of 9 members, chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor in charge of Finance and Administration. The Steering Committee is supported by the Secretariat which is led by the Head, GAMUSU, currently Prof. Grace Bantebya Kyomuhendo.
The main purpose of GAMSU is to streamline the administration and management of grants and contracts within the various units of the University as well as provide a supportive eco-system for grants mobilization and management. Specific objectives include; establishing a framework for grants mobilization and management within the University; creating a platform to track and monitor grants within the University; establishing strategic global partnerships with other institutions with the intent to solicit funds for scholarships, research and infrastructure development; providing guidelines through which projects funded by grants link to existing laws, policies and regulations governing Makerere as a public University; and defining the roles of different University Officials in the mobilization, management, and administration of grants at the University.
Functions of GAMSU
- Ensuring that Makerere University is registered with various funding agencies where necessary;
- Supporting Faculty and other staff of the University in the preparation of grants applications including; eligibility checks for grant opportunities, proofing adherence to applications;
- Support award winners in the grant negotiations and coordinate with relevant University authorities for project account set up wherever necessary;
- Following up with Principal Investigators to ensure timely compliance with grant contract conditions and University Policies;
- Maintaining a database of all grants in the University;
- Ensuring that all projects comply with the laws and policies of the university;
- Undertake monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance in the execution of grants at the University;
- Follow-up with Principal Investigators to ensure timely compliance with grant contract conditions and University policies;
- Ensuring that concluded projects are appropriately closed out in accordance with University policies and guidelines;
- Maintaining a database of all grants in the university;
Sensitization meeting at CAES
On 28th April 2022, GAMSU Administrators held a meeting to sensitize CAES staff on the general roles of the Unit and grants financial management. During the meeting held at the School of Food Technology, Nutrition and Bio-Engineering Conference Hall, the Head of GAMSU, Prof. Grace Bantebya Kyomuhendo briefed staff on policy, functions, levels of GAMSU grants support, common grant submission platforms, capacity building for staff and expectations from Colleges. Mr George Mugabi Turyamureeba, Head Finance at GAMSU/Mak-RIF sensitized staff on grants financial management, specifically focusing on financial planning, financial control, administration and records management, as well as reporting and auditing. Mr Yunusu Musisi, End User Support Administrator briefed staff on the GAMSU Database Management System, benefits of the system and some of its features.
Issues arising from the Meeting
- It is important to monitor progress and write close out reports at the end of every project
- Monitoring and evaluation of project expenditure is vital for proper financial management – minimizes gaps in project implementation
- There is need to rethink the amount and management of institutional overheads
- There is need for regular guidance and sensitization on grant management
- Staff need guidance on the management of grant funds – (how to deal with foreign currency fluctuations)
- There is need to assist all staff get access to grants
- There is also need to harmonize reporting formats
Expectations from Colleges and staff
- Submission up to date Information on grants and donations, new, existing and those that are closing out
- Submission of quarterly grants reports
- Presentation of staff needs to GAMSU for support and capacity building
- Sharing challenges experienced in relation grants administration with GAMSU
- Sharing best practices for the good of researcher with GAMSU
Capacity Needs Assessment
In a bid to manage the process better, GAMSU has organized a Survey to establish the Capacity Needs of faculty and other staff in the respective colleges, schools, departments and Units within the University to inform and guide the grants administration and management support activities.
Please follow the link below to fill the needs assessment form.
Presentation on the roles of GAMSU, grants financial Management, and the GAMSU Website and Database Management System attached below.