The School of Agricultural Sciences (SAS)

The School of Food Technologies, Nutrition and Bio Engineering (SFTNB)

The School of Forestry, Environmental and Geographical Sciences (SFEGS)

The Department of Environmental Management (Former MUIENR)

Copyright 2017 - @ College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - Makerere University. All Rights Reserved!

Makerere University staff trained to develop Multi-media E- learning Modules under the KOYOKA Project

A section of participants during the training

The training was organised by the Department of Extension and innovation studies together with European partners and the Department of Distance and Open Learning under the project titled, “Listen and Understand: International Network for Co-operative Production of On-Line Teaching Materials (KOYOKA project)”. 

The training took place from 18th - 29th May, 2015 at the Makerere University Main Library Extension Multi Media room. Three instructors from France namely Mailys Luye , Pierre Aragon and Didier Pilot were in the country to conduct the training.

The training involved hands on training in the production of multimedia supported e-learning materials using the PhD field - based module in Agricultural and Rural Innovation (ARI) which was implemented by Makerere University in January 2014 for a start. The training also involved going to the field to record materials, editing and organising the materials for educational purposes in line with the course learning objectives.

The project also procured modern state - of -the -art equipment worth 8160 Euros installed at the Department of Extension and Innovations Studies. The equipment includes a professional video camera and all its accessories, two MAC computers and TV monitors to be used in the poduction of multimedia e - learning materials.

The project Coordinator Assoc. Prof. Paul Kibwika said the training was extremely relevant to build the capacity of Makerere University to develop high quality online teaching resources which can be shared by other universities internationally.

Assoc. Prof. Paul Kibwika (standing) the Project Coordinator

“So it puts us at a cutting edge of e-learning technology which many people may not know what it takes. It goes beyond posting notes and exercises on the website and thinking about different ways of engaging learners to develop analytic skills using a variety of media”. He said

Assoc. Prof. Kibwika explained that the 8,160 Euro equipment is part of the KOYOKA project donated by the Graduate French Research Institute and Montpelier SupAgro in partnership with Makerere University mainly to develop a shared e-learning module between European PhD Module and ARI PhD in Agriculture based in Makerere University.

“We are going to continue with developing e-learning materials for ARI PhD and real production. We are targeting at least four modules of that program to be delivered on line in one years’ time from now”, Dr. Kibwika explained this as the next step after the training.

The Coordinator described the multi-disciplinary team as a big resource to Makerere University that can offer excellent expertise to deliver high quality e - learning materials. The team had varying skills from media and communication, technical team from ICT, pedagogical side as well as e -learning unit (MUELE) of Makerere university. Participants speak out The participants hailed the training for its multidisciplinarity, collegial relationship, team spirit, practical and the instructors competencies in the subject matter.

Participants install some of the equipment received

Mr. Tito Okumu from the Makerere E- learning Unit noted that, the usual practice in the university has been spoon-feeding learners with literature. He expressed the need to bring people with different expertise when developing e-learning content.

“When you use videos, pictures maps, testimonies and other graphic materials it tickles the students’ mind on critical thinking, ensures that the student uses all the experiences to develop new ideas and gives the student chance to articulate issues”. He said.

Mr. Okumu further added that developing multimedia e-learning materials is not about what the instructor wants to teach, not IT competency and not individual discipline but bringing different competencies to come up with a quality product that makes learning fun rather than a challenge or punishment. 

The Administrator Makerere University e - learning platform Ms. Abigail Inapat who has been guiding users on how to use the Makerere e- learning platform said she has been uploading already developed courses but had never worked closely with teachers to sequence content systematically.

Audio visual team during the editing lesson with Arragon Pierre

“Building a course systematically has been a big plus that will help me guide teachers and assessing learners”, Ms. Inapat added that, in the courses, she has been uploading teachers and learners guide but had never practiced.

“So in this training, I practically designed a learners and teachers guide. To me, the training has been very rich. It is going to greatly improve and enrich my work as an e-learning administrator because I can look at the course upload on a platform and I can do that competently”. She said

A teacher Educator/Pedagogists from the School of Education and external studies who teaches teachers on how to improve on teaching methods and techniques Ms. Dorothy Sebbowa said she had learnt a lot from the training and will be able to do things differently. 

Part of the team out in the ield recording interviews

“I have learnt about different tools, quizzes and integrating interactive actions like video clips in my lessons. I have also learnt the importance of using case studies and that is a plus for me. I have learnt that technology can make learning more vivid, exciting and real”, She said.

Partcipants in the Multi media room in the Mian Library extension

The Assistant Communication Officer, Makerere University Public Relations office Ms. Marion Alina hailed the instructors for their expertise and competency in the subject matter and the course for its multidisciplinary, teamwork and being practical.

“The workshop is about developing e-learning material and it is a welcome development. I request for support where need be so that it does not only end in CAES”. Ms. Alina said. 
story also to be found on: "http://www.acp-edulink.eu/node/15938

Report compiled by:
Jane Anyango
Communication Officer, CAES

Contact us

Office of the Principal

College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences - Makerere University

P.O.Box, 7062, Kampala, Uganda

Tel: +256-414-542277

Email: principal@caes.mak.ac.ug